Walks may finish later than expected: trains run late or are missed, cars break down, the group may become temporarily lost, have too long a lunch, or someone may have an accident. So:
- Leave details with your family or flatmates before you go: the name and phone number of the leader, approximate location of the trip, expected time of return and the rescue information and contacts below.
- You can also send an email with details of your trip to firstname.lastname@example.org – this will go to several experienced club members. If you use this email, PLEASE ENSURE YOU ADVISE OF YOUR SAFE RETURN. (subw-notify may be used for any trip)
- If you are delayed, phone home as soon as you can to let them know that you are safe.
- If a party is late (after midnight on a day trip), try calling:
- The trip leader, or other contact nominated by the leader – they may have information regarding the return of the trip. (you might like to try looking at the walks program – it may have the leader’s mobile phone number)
- One of the clubs rescue contacts (listed below). These can be contacted 24 hours in urgent situations.Rescue contacts may be able to provide further information about the trip, further advice, and can co-ordinate contact with police. Please remember however, as these contacts are active club members, they may all be on a trip at any one time (hence out of contact).
- The police. The best point of contact is a local police station in the area of the trip. A list of police stations and general areas of walks is listed below. If you are still unsure as to the best station to contact, call the Police Assistance line, 131 444, 24 hrs.
- Bushwalkers Wilderness Rescue Squad can offer some good advice from a bushwalkers perspective and have links with various local police and VRA’s – if you wish to contact them, Phone 132 222, ask for pager number 6277 321 and leave a brief message including a return phone number. One of their personnel will phone you back.
Club Rescue Contacts:
- Mitchell Isaacs: 0403 103 823
- Konstantin Seiler: 0432 285 565
- David Noble: 9560 5973 (H), 9399 3122 (W), 0416 230 170 (Mobile)
- Contact the committee
Local Police Stations:
|Walking area||Police Station||Contact Number|
|Blue Mountains, Wollemi, Kanangara-Boyd,
Blue Mts LAC
|(02) 4782 8100
(02) 6352 8399
(02) 4751 0200
|Nattai, Mittagong||Camden||(02) 4655 0500|
|Budawangs, Morton National Park||Shoalhaven||(02) 4421 9630|
|Snowy Mountains, Kosciuszko National Park||Jindabyne
|(02) 6456 2244
(02) 6452 0099
(02) 6298 0514